These Chocolate Chip Cake Bars are brilliant to batch make and keep in the freezer for snacks all week long. Great to add to lunches and snack plates too.
They’re healthier than shop bought cake too, sweetened with just a little honey and some apple sauce.
- 175g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 50g butter (or coconut oil)
- 100g plain yogurt
- 1 medium egg
- 75g apple sauce (or 1 small banana)
- 3 tbsp honey
- 70g chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a brownie tin with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda to a large bowl and mix.
- Add the butter to a large jug and melt in the microwave.
- Once the butter is melted add the yogurt, egg, apple sauce and honey and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix.
- Finally fold in 50g of the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the cake mixture into the tin and flatten with the bake of a spoon.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top and bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes in the tin before removing it and cool a little more.
- Cut into 16 squares.
- These cake bars can be kept in an airtight container for up to 2 days. They can also be frozen and will defrost at room temperature in a couple of hours.